The Executive Council of the Mason Contractors Exchange of Southern California provides union mason contractors a source for
exclusive membership and benefits. We also provide an excellent opportunity for union mason contractors to network and
share ideas for the benefit of masonry construction in Southern California.
History of the Exchange
When the General Contractors performed almost eighty percent of the masonry construction in Los Angeles, a small group of mason contractors met and decided to form an organization. From this beginning came the Mason Contractor’s Exchange of Southern California, Inc. It is ironic that now, masonry contractors perform nearly all of the masonry construction and the general contractors, less than three percent. The Exchange continued semi-active until the twenties when the great upsurge of construction in Los Angeles made an active organization more necessary.
There were 65 members in the Exchange.
The Exchange opened an office on the fifth floor of the old Chamber of Commerce Building at Twelfth and Broadway and established a masonry bid depository. Dan O’Brien, the father of the present manager, became the Secretary-Manager and operated the bid depository. During the depression years the Exchange became inactive but in 1938 under the leadership of Jay A. Powers, Frank Smith, Andy Seablom, Jim McGalliard, Al Maxted, Al Mills, C.R. Nicoll, John Turpin, and others, the Exchange began active meetings once again.
In 1946 the Exchange incorporated in the State of California and the officers of that year were the following:
President: Frank S. Smith, Vice-President: Al Mills
Secretary: Frank Wickser, Treasurer: R. B. Koch
Directors: N. A. Anderson, David R. Nicoll, Myron Carmen, A. H. Maxted, & Emil Wickholm
In 1949 affiliated Chapters of the Exchange were established and Barney Smith was employed as Business Manager.
President: Harris (Bucky) McGalliard, Vice-President: A. H. Maxted
Secretary: Ryan M. O’Brien, Treasurer: N. A. Anderson
Directors: Myron Carmen, D. I. Dalrymple, A. R. Mills, E. A. Wickholm, & Jay A. Powers
There were 78 members in the Affiliate Chapters: Los Angeles, Long Beach, San Bernardino, Santa Barbara, Santa Maria, Santa Monica, and Oxnard and 28Associate Members.
In July, 1960, there was a major amendment to the By-Laws. This amendment officially permitted the establishment of Chapters and created the Executive Council. The Executive Council, composed of representatives from all Chapters, became the governing body and Board of Directors of the entire Exchange. The four original Chapters of 1960, Los Angeles, Long Beach (now part of Los Angeles), Orange County, and San Fernando Valley have since welcomed the addition of San Gabriel Valley, Ventura County, Kern County, San Diego County, and the Marble Masons as New Chapters of the Exchange.
In March, 1962, a full time office of the Exchange was opened and free office space was provided by Southland Scaffold & Equipment, Inc. A very successful Group Life Insurance Program was established.
The Executive Council of the Mason Contractor’s Exchange of Southern California provides union masonry contractors a source for exclusive membership and benefits. We also provide an excellent opportunity for union masonry contractors to network and share ideas for the benefit of masonry construction in Southern California.